Monday, June 23, 2008

Pancakes for your dosha

I love pancakes. So when I thought I could no longer have pancakes following an ayurvedic diet, I was just a tad bit upset. But then I did a little research, and found that with just a few adjustments, I could still have my favorite breakfast food! Yippeee!!!


Here are pancake recipes for each of the doshas. I should warn you that if you are looking for a "bisquix" recipe, you will be a bit disappointed. But believe it or not, there was life (and pancakes) before bisquix. Frankly, I like these much better. While these recipes won't produce the "fluffy" pancakes so many people are used to, the flavor of these delicious breakfast goodies far outweighs the fluffy factor in my book.

Vata: Rice or wheat flour, 2 eggs, milk, 2 tbsp. ground almonds or almond extract

Pitta: Oat or rice flour, milk or soy milk, sesame seeds

Kapha: Buckwheat or soy flour, coconut milk, ground coconut

For all doshas: place 2 cups flour in a bowl, and stir in remaining ingredients in order listed, until you have a nice medium thick batter. Fry in a non-stick pan using ghee in dosha appropriate amounts.


Personal Alchemy offers botanical bath salts, ritual massage oils, healing balms and body creams.

 ____________________________________________________
Add to Technorati Favorites
____________________________________________________
Like this blog?Personal Alchemy now offers our blog “feed-style”!
Never miss a post by subscribing today. Simply click below.
Subscribe to Personal Alchemy Feed
____________________________________________________

5 comments:

Bhakti said...

Hi, love your blog! Wanted to share a yummy recipe for pancakes for kapha constitution, that are actually quite light, if not actually fluffy.

2/3 cup Buckwheat flour
1/3 cup Chick pea flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
pinch baking soda
approx 1/2 cup soy milk (or to consistency)

Use a whisk to mix the flours together, add baking soda, making sure that the chickpea flour has no lumps in it. Make a well in the centre, add soy milk and gently whisk until all ingredients are just mixed together. The chickpea flour lightens the denseness of the buckwheat, and tastes good too! The cardamom is just divine in this combination.

Om
Bhakti.

Personal Alchemy said...

Bhakti,

Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe! I will have to try it myself, as I am a Kapha dosha. It sounds yummy!

Thanks for sharing,
Tiffany

Frannie said...

Hi Tiffany!

I love pancakes too, and thought I'd share dosha-friendly toppings for them! All doshas can have ghee (Kaphas in small amounts), and additionally Vatas can have raw honey, Pittas do great with maple syrup, and Kaphas also do well with raw honey (in small amounts). I've also made a sugar-free jam using reconstituted dried fruits that makes a great pancake topping for all doshas!

Natural baking powder (alum-free, based on baking soda) also helps make pancakes fluffier, as do mashed bananas (for Vatas) or applesauce (for Pittas and Kaphas). :-)

Personal Alchemy said...

Hi Frannie!

Thanks for the wonderful topping ideas! I'll have to try the apple sauce. It sounds wonderful!

Tiffany

Amara said...

Hi Tiffany!
Thank you for the pancake recipe. I have cooked one with buckwheat but instead of coconut I used mashed banana. It turned out to be really good and i used apple sauce. I love ayurvedic cooking. I feel so good after I eat an ayurvedic meal.
Thank you
Amara