Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Natural First Aid for Spider Bites

It's definitely summer. The spiders are out in force in my house. I've never been able to stop it, and I don't want to spray a ton of chemicals in my home to kill them either. I did a little research on natural first aid and here's what I found:

  • Clean the wound with soap and water. Then apply a natural "antibiotic" ointment.

  • Add 8-10 drops of tea tree oil to a quart of ice water. Soak a clean cotton cloth or cotton ball in the mixture and apply as a compress for 15 minutes up to 4 times a day.


Echinacea is effective for wounds and stings. Take 250-500 mg every two to three hours for the first day, then three or four times daily until the swelling subsides — up to five days.

Apply fresh Aloe Vera to the bite if you have access to an aloe plant.

Try to identify the spider that bit you. The only truly dangerous spiders are black widows and brown recluses. If one of those has bit you, seek medical treatment immediately.

Enjoy a "spider-bite-free" summer!

2 comments:

Dr Senthil kumar S said...

Good Show

Jenny Keller said...

This is interest, I've been reading about ayurvedic treatments for couple of months ago here, http://ayurvedic-treatment.com but never heard of any information about spider bites, but that is not too far of the remedies that ayurveda could do right?